98 Days in Captivity: Borno Parents Demand Urgent Rescue of Abducted Schoolchildren

The parents of 46 children who were abducted from Mussa Primary and Junior Secondary School, Borno State, have called for urgent action by the Federal Government to bring their children back.
On May 15, 2026, the children were removed from their classrooms in Mussa, Askira-Uba Local Government Area, close to Sambisa Forest. The families say the long captivity has become more and more difficult, 98 days later.
Parents marched through Uba, holding placards that read “Bring Back Our Children” and “We want our children back”, complaining about the government’s response.
Some families had been affected by the long wait, with serious health issues, and some children had celebrated birthdays in captivity, said one parent, Buba Mussa. He said that toddlers were among those who were still missing.
The parents also asked about the difference in the reaction of the Mussa abduction and the abduction of schoolchildren and teachers in Oriire, Oyo State, which were rescued.
Senator Ali Ndume has called on the military to step up its search for and safe return of the children to their families. The Theatre Commander, North-East Operation Hadin Kai, Major General Abdulsalam Abubakar, reiterated the military’s resolve to continue operations.
UNICEF Nigeria has also voiced concern, noting that about 78 children have been kidnapped in Mussa and Lassa communities. The agency emphasized that schools are safe environments for children to learn and grow.
Families are calling for immediate, coordinated action to ensure the safety, wellbeing and right to education of their children as they approach 100 days without them at home.


